Saturday, November 6, 2010

Swing on a Spiral

As below, so above and beyond, I imagine.
Drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

-- Tool - Lateralus

One of my favorite songs.  Ever.  

What's it got to do with food?  Or anything, you say?  

.. It's a philosophy of life .. one I try my best to appreciate.

And of course.. why would it be here if it didn't relate to food?

You know the friends who can't eat certain things, nay, refuse to try this food or that food.. 

They're missing out.  Maybe they can't help themselves.  Maybe they need a push. 

One of my favorite favorite eating experiences involves just trying things.  Specifically.. 

่šตไป”็…Ž .. or Oyster Omelettes.
Sounds weird huh?  Gross?  Maybe.
But it's DELICIOUS.  To my great surprise too.  I'd always battled against sometimes disliking mollusks because of the tendency to get crappy ones with a gritty or sandy texture inside.  Yuck.
So what is it?  It's a simple egg omelette with oysters and generally the stalk of a green leafy vegetable.  A little bit of corn starch for some textural effect.  And topped with some magical sweet/sour ketchup-y sauce that pulls everything in together.  The egg, the oyster, the veggie.  It's blissful.  But I can't really tell you how it tastes.  In fact, trying to think of the three individual pieces.. and their tastes, and then trying to mentally combine them.. utterly fails to capture the beauty of the whole.  
I'm pretty sure if anyone had told me what was going on before I tried it.  I wouldn't have. 

But.. if you want to live.. you have to reach for the random. 


No comments:

Post a Comment